Tools & Utilities Page
Some of these are free, some are not. For me, free doesn't always equate to better.
- SysInternals Suite - A very useful collection of troubleshooting tools.
- Desktop Restore - Save and Restore Icon Placement on your Desktop. I use this everyday.
- GParted Partition Editor - Free, open-source partition editor.
- PSPad - A really good free text editor. Comparable to UltraEdit, but free.
- Bulk File Rename Utility - Free and very comprehensive. (Can be a little confusing to learn, but worth it if you need it.)
- WinRAR - This one isn't free. I know there are others (such as 7-Zip) that are free, but I believe this one works much better. That's why I bought it myself.
- RegShot - Registry snapshot/comparison tool.
- UltraMon - This one isn't free. But it is a great utility for managing multiple monitors.
- UltraISO - This one isn't free. A great utility for working with ISO files. Yes, there are free ones; and I've tried them all at one time or another. I've even paid for several others. This one is the best.
- RichCopy - Bulk File Copy Utility.
- This download page is a bit confusing. There is a link at the top of the page that downloads a file named 'HoffmanUtilitySpotlight2009_04.exe. Get this file and run it. It will extract an installer that you will then need to launch to install RichCopy.
- If you are using SCCM on campus, this tool is available from the "Software Center".
- WinDirStat - Disc Usage Statistics.
- Space Sniffer - More Disc Usage Statistics.
- WinMerge - Folder comparison and syncing tool.
- R-Studio - Hard Drive Recovery tool. Okay, this one is not free and it isn't cheap, either. (Not too bad, but not $29, either.)
But if you need to recover data from a hard drive, this tool works fairly well.
- Avira Rescue - Standalone Virus Scanner.
- If the McAfee disc isn't working for you, you can try this one.
It boots in German, but you can click on the British flag in the lower left to switch to English.
- Microsoft Fix-It - Basic troubleshooting tools that can sometimes help find the obvious stuff.